Friday, September 16, 2005

Roll For Delaying Your Action

Somehow I doubt that when I get married, my wife won't accept a conditional gift on our anniversary.

But that's exactly what President Bush gave the world when he addressed the UN on their 60th anniversary yesterday. When I first read it, I was so excited. "The United States is ready to eliminate all tariffs, subsidies and other barriers to free flow of goods and services..."

Then I read the condition. "...as other nations do the same."

What a load of crap. We all know damn well that one country taking the initiative on that would be astounding. A whole region, a miracle. But everyone has to do it and they all have to do it at the same time? That's like Bill Gates saying he'll give all his money away on the condition that everyone in the world runs naked through the streets on a common day. It's what you say as a sarcastic joke. "Oh yeah, I'll eliminate all tariffs; when the rest of the world does, too!"

Take the initiative, George. Show world leaders that their economy won't collaspe if they eliminate their precious subsidies. Stick your neck out and set the example; that's what good leaders do. Don't hide behind a condition you know will never happen.

Please forgive the dorkiness of the title; I just couldn't resist.

No comments: