Saturday, March 17, 2007

How Green Is MY Valley

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone. Since I'm not much of a drinker, I don't really celebrate it but I'm glad other people do. They certainly seem to enjoy it and there's no harm from celebrating it.

Lou Dobbs disagrees. Almost a year ago he said,
I don't think there should be a St. Patrick's Day. I don't care who you are. I think we ought to be celebrating what is common about this country, what we enjoy as similarities as people.
Dobbs wants everyone to be the same and purge society of its strangeness and surprise. We shouldn't be happy that we are different, we should be ashamed and try to drown out any differences with celebrations of solidarity. I suppose that makes that easier to direct people to whatever you think we should all be.

While I find Dobbs social theories narrow-minded, I don't have any problem with him expressing it. Only by bringing such ideas to light can we witness how truly selfish they are.

No comments: