Thursday, September 30, 2004

Dr. Phil the Psychological Philanderer?

Does Dr. Phil take advantage of the American viewing public by successively dealing with different family and personal issues for profit and gain? That's the thrust of a new Slate editorial, and while I'm sympathetic, I can't endorse that accusation.

I'm not favoribly disposed towards large, bearlike mental health facilitators such as he; I believe in my heart of hearts that he wants to help people, but I find the way he does it in repugnant. Nonetheless, I will defend to the death his right to be whatever sort of human being he wants to be.

He's selling a service, not forcing it down anyone's throat. That's the crucial distinction. Remember folks, if you don't like it, don't consume it. He's serving the demand of consumers everywhere, and power to him.

In short, feel free to dislike him for any reason, but don't attack the profit motive. He wouldn't be selling himself if nobody wanted him.

No comments: