Monday, May 29, 2006

Back from the Abyss...

Law, Legislation, and Lunacy

Well, OK, let me be straight: I'm still in the abyss. And it's not all that bad. So where'd I go, what I do? I know, you're all dying to know (all 3 people that read me when last I blogged), so I'll make it short and sweet.

I done run off and got married. And boy, I really couldn't have run much farther, since Irkutsk, Russia is about as far from Chicago as you can get. Almost every step I take from the city brings me closer to home (a nice way of looking at it, eh?). But I met a wonderful girl, and we're simply content to share our lives. It takes a little of the edge off, makes it harder to rant and rave, but believe me, staying up until 4 in the morning storming Illyrian fortified cities (Rome: Total War, anyone?) is a helluva whetstone.

I'll just say now that Russia is a very different place than I ever imagined, and it never ceases to amaze me. Usually it's "amazed" as in "horrified", but you'd be surprised by some of the positive things going on here. I'm going to take advantage of my time here to try and share some of my experience with and thoughts about my host nation - where I might someday choose to live out my days!

But that's another post entirely. Until then, this is your respectful blogger,

Tim

No comments: