Monday, January 23, 2006

Soaps and Suds All Night Long

After the Liberty Fund/IHS conference this weekend, I heard the strangest ad on the radio. A local carwash is now open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The dialogue went a something like, "You can get food when you need it, you can get perscriptions when you want, but why can't you wash your car at your convience?"

I can understand food and drugs because there's a strong time preference (I'm hungry now, I need to take X now) but washing your car? Maybe the queue for car washing is so long, the firm thought this would be a good way to handle it. But it is yet another example of how freakishly wonderful the free market is because it allows this choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never thought I needed to wash my car in the middle of the night, but who *hasn't* woken up at 3 am and thought, "I need to take X now"?