Monday, January 09, 2012

Everyone Fires People. Every Day.

Mitt Romney's been under criticism for talking about his love of firing people:
At a breakfast event in Nashua, Romney told an audience that his health care plan would allow them to dismiss insurers and health care providers. "If you don't like what they do, you can fire them," he said. "I like being able to fire people who provide services to me."
Why is this so controversial? Because his critics use it to paint him as a Gatsby-like 1%er, firing his maid or butler just to watch them cry. But he's actually describing how average he is.

We fire people all the time. We do it so much, we don't even think about it. Today I went to Cakelove and had a cupcake. It cost over $3, but it was not worth $3, so I fired them: I won't go there again.

Then I fired the local AFI movie theater. I was going to go see Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy there but I kept reading reviews about how confusing it was if you haven't read the books. Not for me. I'll get it on Netflix so I can re-watch scenes, thank you very much.

For lunch I fired Einstein Bagels and Panera Bread. I usually grab something to eat at either of those places but I've grown tired of the limited number of things I like on their menu. Craving something new, I went to Baja Fresh. Will I fire them tomorrow? Probably; I'm thinking about making lunch in-house.

How many times have you fired someone today?

No comments: